Friday 1 May 2009

Lesson 5: pachelbel and gavotte

I know that I should be writing my essay right about now, so this is going to be a short update of how things have been going. I am much too busy with uni work at the moment to write too much on here which is a shame because lots of fun things have been happening in the world of my cello.

I finally have decided on a name for her, for a start. Ursula it is. Love that name (and Ursula le Guin), and it has started to sound right! Phew, glad that's decided because obviously it is impossible to play an instrument without anthropomorphising it as much as is realistically possible.

I am really enjoying playing Pachelbel at last. It it starting to sound.... presentable?? No, not presentable, but I think if someone knew the piece, and heard me playing it, they would recognise it. I am also enjoying playing Gavotte by Handel, but am finding Poloniase (Bach) Hard Work. It sounded so great when my teacher played it though, so I will perservere.

Bow hold is no longer causing me any pain, but now my left thumb is starting to ache, so I think I need to stop gripping the neck as tight. Also getting pins and needles in my bum all the time from the chair I use and back and neck are aching loads from essay writing. This instrument is slowly killing me, I swear.

However, it is my birthday on Sunday, and for my birthday I am receiving:
  • cello lessons (from parents as I can't afford them)
  • cello stand (from thomas as Ursula doesn't appreciate being leant against a book case)
  • stool (from thom's parents to stop my bum ache)
  • some new music (from a friend)
So it is a cello themed 24th birthday in store for me! yayyy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment