Wednesday 6 May 2009

lesson 6: extensions

So, today I had my 6th lesson, and although I hadn't done very much practise this week, my teacher seemed surprisingly pleased! He said my ability to play a piece sightreading for the first time was "very promising" - wow, I feel really good! The extensions were fine, although not that easy really, but apparently I will get the hang of them. I am currently finding them awkward and I don't yet feel comfortable moving my hand that much, I feel all lost unless I am in first position!

Also this week I played Phantom of the Opera for the first time. It's so much fun (and really easy)! I haven't yet tried playing along with the CD but i am really looking forward to doing that. I also went to Dave Mann, a music shop about 5 minutes from my house to pick up my cello stand and played about on their double bass. It was so much fun, they are so deep! I am definitely going to get myself one of those when I have a big enough house! But right now I am more than happy with the cello, and have no aspirations beyond learning my piece for next week.

For next week I am doing a piece called Tanz (Bach), and continuing to work on Gavotte and Poloniase from last week. I am enjoying them, but I feel like I could do with a new book so I can move at my own speed. However, as my teacher said, i don't want to get ahead of myself, and it's nice to have a piece you can play well. So that's my plan - play well! Then I can get a new book...

1 comment:

  1. Give yourself permission to really stink at extensions for a while. It takes some time for the webbing and cartilage to be flexible. Get the technique right, try not to swing your elbow or twist your wrist, and take your time. Extensions are in absolutely everything, and getting the feeling of them down now will do you many favors! :)

    ReplyDelete