Sunday 5 April 2009

Uh Oh...

One of the fine tuners on my cello has snapped off! Don't hve any clue how this happened, but engineer husband reckons that it was low quality metal and so had some fatigue. I was turning it and it felt quite stiff, and suddenly snapped off in my hands. It's the g string tuner, which is one of the easier strings to tune so at least i can keep playing until my next lesson. Going to have to give the cello back to my teacher I think. He is not going to be impressed..

All in all, this cello has been a total nightmare. I do feel bad for her, as she is really suffering with such a clumsy first owner, but she is not exactly very robust and I am not doing anything any other beginner wouldn't be doing, I don't think!

Seriously, when it comes to thinking about getting my own cello I think I would rather rent for ages and get a really good quality cello when I can afford one rather than buy one as soon as I can afford it, and get a lower quality instrument. I rent from my teacher, and he said any money I pay on rental I can have off the final price of the cello I rent, but I am not sure about this cello.. I feel worried it's going to fall apart all the time! But on the other hand I have absolutely no spare moeny to save up for any cello, let alone a good one! Well, I have ages to think about that so I'll wait and see.

With respect to practise, things are going a-okay. well, definitely okay anyway. My thumb hurts less and I am able to concentrate on what my left hand is doing as well as my right hand. Up until now I had been totally ignoring my left hand while bowing! I need to get a better seat for playing though, as I don't have any that are really the right height at the moment and I feel all scrunched up.

Speaking of which, I have a spare half hour so I am off the practise!

No comments:

Post a Comment