Wednesday 25 March 2009

Lesson 3: I got my bow

My lesson this afternoon was a funny one. I got my bow (yay!) but I am finding it reallllly difficult to hold right at the moment, and my thumb hurts (boo). My lesson was supposed to be 4pm-4.30pm but the student after me didn't turn up for his lesson so I got a full hour (yay!) but both me and my teacher were super sleepy and the room was so warm we were both really drowsy (boo). Hilariously, I actually think my teacher dropped off for about half a second mid-sentemce, and then kept on talking as though nothing had happened. Hahaha ohhhh dear.

Anyway he said I was doing well with my left hand stuff, and so I could have my bow! Very exciting, I practised looooaaaads this week to make sure that he would be happy giving me the bow.

Total anti-climax. I can't even hold it properly yet. It is ridiculously uncomfortable, and sounds horrendous! I guess for some reason in my mind I figured that I would be able to play all the stuff I had been playing pizzicato right away with the bow. No. Definitely not. So I am feeling a little discouraged right now. Unfortunately, realising how unrealistic my bow-related expectations were has not made me feel any less disappointed.

But tomorrow is another day etc and I am already making slightly less gut-wrenchingly gruesome squawks with it, so I will stick with it!

No more lesson until 22nd April so I have ages to work on my technique. I am also going to confer with a cello-playing friend and get him to tell me if I am doing it right after I have had a bit of practise. We shall see..

No comments:

Post a Comment